let’s face it, finding the perfect shade is not an easy task, but this guide will help you greatly in looking refreshed and polished in an instant since choosing the right hair color isn’t as easy as simply picking out a color you like. There are several factors that you should consider. For now, let’s focus on skin tone and your own natural hair color.
For a better understanding of this article, I would recommend you to read the “Hair Color” article first as seen here
Natural skin tone
First, observe what type of skin tone you have. We see 1 as the lightest while 11 is the darkest. A is the warmest and F the coolest.
Here is a test to help you find your exact tone:
The Silver/Gold Test If you can, find a piece of silver fabric and piece of gold fabric. Stand in front of a mirror in natural light. Hold each piece of fabric next to your face, one at a time and examine. If the silver makes your face light up, you are most likely cool toned. If the gold makes you look fresh and alive, you are probably warm toned.
The Vein Test The vein test is an easy way to determine your skin tone. In natural light, make a fist and examine your inner wrist. What color are the veins? Veins that are mainly blue are a sign of cool tones, while green veins are a hint that you are warm toned. If your veins are a mix of blue and green, it could be a sign that you are neutral toned.
Still unsure? It’s not always an easy process. No one’s skin is exactly the same and individual coloring can be a task to determine on your own. Most makeup artists have the knowledge and the ability to help determine your skin tone and consequently help you find good color matches.
Natural hair color
My best recommendation would be to stay within 2 levels from your natural hair color. This way, your hair will look its best and is easier to maintain on a day to day basis.
The perfect color for me
I would suggest this article: Color article
Okay, so now that you’ve found the tone, the undertone of your skin and the color of your hair, these will help determine what is the absolute best color level and tones for you.
- Your skin tone is 1 to 4 then my color recommendation would be anything between 6 and 10 (dark blonde to platinum blonde)
- Your skin tone is 4 to 7 then my color recommendation would be anything between 4 to 7 (Medium brown to blonde)
- Your skin tone is 7 to 11 then my color recommendation would be anything between 2 to 6 (Darkest brown to Dark blonde)
Now that you’ve found your color, what will your tone be?
- Your skin tone is A to C then my tone recommendation would be anything slightly warm to natural (red, orange, golden, natural…)
- Your skin tone is D to F then my tone recommendation would be anything slightly cool to natural (ash, natural…)
- There are some exceptions. If your skin level is 6 to 11 with any skin tone, than warm tone could be nice too.
Ultimate Hair Guide